This digital collection contains a sample of photographs from the David and Annie Epting family collection. The items were donated by Julie (Derrick) Epting, widow of David Epting Jr. Photographs are from the Columbia, Lexington, and Newberry areas, and date between 1876-1955. Neighborhoods depicted include Shandon and Cottontown. A brief history of the Epting family is provided below.
Browse This Collection
About the Epting Family
David Andrew Epting and his wife Annie Davis Epting resided at 1306 Confederate Avenue for most of their married life. They built the home in 1928, and later it was occupied by their son, David A. Epting, Jr. and his wife Julie, daughter of Julia (Eargle) Derrick and Rev. Joseph C. Derrick. The materials in this collection came from the attic of this home, where the family had carefully stored toys, clothes, letters, postcards, clothing, photographs, books, business receipts, bills, letters, and many other personal items. Only a small portion was donated to Richland Library.
David Andrew Epting (1875-1964) was born in Newberry County to Daniel L. and Sedelia Fulmer Epting. He received a B. A. from Newberry College and a druggist license from the Atlanta School of Pharmacy (now Emory University). He moved to Columbia in 1908 and became a pharmacist at Wingfield’s Drug Store, which was located on 1536 Main Street but relocated to 1443 Main Street in 1915. To his customers, he was known as “Dr. Ep.” He married Annie Davis of Columbia in 1918, and they had one son, David A Epting Jr. After their marriage the Eptings lived at 1422 Henderson Street in Columbia. In 1926 they moved briefly to 1213 Pickens Street until they completed the home at 1306 Confederate Ave in 1928. Dr. Epting worked at Wingfield’s until it closed in 1949. He was a member of the Men’s Bible Class at Ebenezer Lutheran Church, a Mason and a Shriner.
Annie Davis Epting (1888-1974) was born in Newberry to Baxton Bragg Davis and Lula Frances Werts Davis. Lula died at a young age, and Braxton remarried Ada Davis, with whom he had more children. The Davis family moved to Columbia in 1911 and lived at 2526 Preston Street in the new Shandon neighborhood. Annie Davis’s brother, Braxton Middleton Davis, served in the Army during World War I. Annie also had half-sisters, Myrtle and Mildred Davis. Annie graduated from Winthrop College and taught at Taylor’s School in Columbia from 1914 until her marriage to David A. Epting. Mrs. Epting taught the Ladies Bible Class at Ebenezer Lutheran Church for many years.